Remembering God's Promises On the Journey
Back to Africa

Monday, April 26, 2010

The time for my return to Swaziland grows nearer with each passing day. As I stop to think of all that has occurred during the past few months I'm awestruck by seeing God's hand at work in the details of life. See, I'm learning that my timing is not necessarily God's timing (ok, it usually isn't:). I also see that life isn't about accomplishing a goal - it's about the journey. My original goal was to be back in Africa in September 2009. When I could not go at that time (my missions organization AGWM requires 100% of my budget to be raised before leaving the country) then my hope was to arrive by January 2010. Here's where the "my plan verses God's plan" comes in...

In January my 29-year-old cousin Nathan died suddenly of an accidental overdose. His sister found him and called us immediately. Since we live down the street we arrived at her house quickly. He was the closest person to the older brother I never had and our families were close, visiting together almost weekly or multiple times per month. I'm thankful I was able to be here for my family, to support them and to be present for his funeral. I don't know why God allowed Nathan's life to end so soon but I do know He has a plan. His Word says "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."(Romans 8:28)


My aunt & my cousin Nathan @ Young's Dairy

Later in January my best friend Bernadette was diagnosed with recurrent cervical cancer that had spread to her liver, colon and abdomen. She spent most of February and March in the hospital and later she moved to hospice. She breathed her last breath on this earth and went to be with God in Heaven on Saturday, March 27. It stills seems a little surreal that she's gone. Her friendship has impacted my life in many ways. She will never be forgotten. I'm so thankful that I was given the privilege to be by her side over the last couple months of her life. Though it was not easy I know there's no place I would have rather been. Again, I'm so thankful that I was here in the U.S. during this time. I cannot imagine being overseas, apart from my friend during this time. This is just another testimony of how God's timing is best. He IS in the details of life.

Bernadette & I at the Dayton airport
before I went to Swaziland the 1st time


God's purposes will stand and He will accomplish His will.
"I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please... What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do." (Isaiah 46:10,11) Even though I don't always understand why certain things happen, I know God is in control and that He is good.

No comments: