Remembering God's Promises On the Journey
Back to Africa

Friday, December 28, 2007

God is good. He continues to reveal His love to His children every day, every moment. As this year is coming to an end I have been reflecting on what the Lord has done this year. Myself and a few others will be sharing testimonies on New Year's Eve at my house before going to a concert featuring a local Christian band. The Lord has done many things this year. A passion for missions has been truly ignited in my heart this year. I went on my first overseas mission trip this summer to El Salvador and was blown away by what the Lord did in and through our team and the lives of the people we were blessed to meet. God healed, saved, restored. He is always at work - even when we cannot see. In the summer of 2005 during a time of great grief the Lord laid on my heart a desire to go to Africa for ministry in some way. He is continuing to grow this passion. I have been and will be reading some books on missions. It's encouraging, motivating and inspiring to hear from others who experience some of the same heartbeats of God for loving the world for Christ.

A passage of Scripture, Matthew 25:31-46, has began to permeate my heart. A portion of this reads:
"'Come you who are blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'
Then, the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to You?'
The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly, I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these brothers of mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' "25:34-40

Do we, do I and do you, see Jesus in those around us? He is there. How are we serving Him? If you are like me this question is somehow so overwhelming yet incredibly
right and satisfying. Perhaps because in this is an amazing amount of our purpose here on earth. Truly, how am I spending my life, my every breath? Is it in a way that brings glory to God and love to people?

No comments: