Remembering God's Promises On the Journey
Back to Africa

Monday, December 24, 2007

The Lord is truly at work all over the world! The team from my church who traveled to Swaziland, Africa shared about their experiences. Let me just say I do not think the Lord is going to leave me alone regarding His heart for these people. They are in need and I am a member of the body of Christ. I must act. Every 14 seconds a child is orphaned by AIDS. Every day 6,000 children are orphaned by AIDS. Over 2700 children in the world die a day from hunger. This is heartbreaking, sickening, and almost difficult to hear. Really, though, shouldn't it be more difficult to hear and not act? I am asking myself along with the body of Christ. AIDS is a huge crisis and killing millions of people every year. The team shared about visiting the best hospital in the country of Swaziland and seeing horrible conditions. 70% of the patients admitted into the hospital are HIV positive and when a person reaches the final stages of AIDS they are released from the hospital and sent home to die without medications. The team also described many, many young children were everywhere. There were pictures of children taking care of children. They are in desperate need of the Lord. If you are 15 years old in Swaziland you have a 1 in 10 chance of living to the age of 35 due to AIDS. People project that Swaziland will be extinct in 20 to 40 years due to the high death rate. It is currently 43% of adults there that have HIV or AIDS. This is the highest infection rate in the world. All this in a little country at "the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8) from myself here in the U.S.

My senior pastor spoke today about this verse and how Jesus does not make it optional to go to the ends of the earth. He did not say "you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem or in all Judea or Samaria or to the ends of the earth." No, actually Jesus our Savior and Lord proclaimed: "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."My heart aches to share the love of Christ with those around the world who are suffering and in pain, especially those facing death or dealing with grief. I cannot say I have ever lived in the conditions that these people have or been orphaned by AIDS but I have felt that same feeling of pain. I have experienced loss. I have been lost without a purpose. I have felt empty and hopeless. The Lord has made all the difference. He filled me with hope and joy. He has given me purpose and filled me with His Spirit. He has released healing into my life and throughout everything He has never left me or forsaken me. He continues to give me strength as I trust Him day by day.

He is here today and forever. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His name is matchless. No one and nothing can compare to Him. Jesus alone deserves all of our lives, our every breath. As the day of Christ's birth approaches may we remember His love for all the world and may we remember those who are lost and without hope. Pastor said it this way- I am thankful that those first Christians did not have the attitude that there was enough need where they were and they did not need to go "to the ends of the earth" because we would not have our salvation today if a Christ follower had not decided to make the trip across the ocean to bring us the only true Hope. Praise God for the obedience of godly men and women all over the world!

Lord, as we celebrate this season of your birth may our hearts receive Your love for Your people all over the world. You came to this earth to save the WORLD- not just me and people who look like me. Lord may our hearts break over what breaks Yours. Show us what You would have us to do to be Your hands and feet to a world in need. May You receive the glory that You are due. I ask in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments: