Remembering God's Promises On the Journey
Back to Africa

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Earlier today I read from my devotional, and today's discussed wanting it all. It opens with the question "Do you ever have times when your life seems out of control?" This could be due to feeling pressured for time and remaining so busy that you feel that you miss out on a certain quality of life because of it the author says. I was thinking of how true that is. I know I sometimes get so caught up in the numerous activities that take up my time when school is in session that I find it more difficult to put all of that aside to take a break from it all. There always seems to be more than enough that I still have left to accomplish. I have realized in the past that taking time for yourself is a neccessity... to be alone and pray or read or walk or work out, whatever it may be I know that time is essential. Otherwise I think the routines of the day can seriously absorb us. It feels as if we almost begin to lose our identity and we are merely going through the motions of life. I pray that every person would make the time to stop and deal with something that has been on their hearts, something that has been in the back of their mind over the last day or week or so. Just let God into that. He is always there, and He is always willing to hear us. I cannot even begin to imagine why this is the case, but He loves us more than we can ever fully know.
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. ~James 4:8

After reading this short lesson in the book today I loved the closing prayer. It went like this:

Lord, help me to remember to live not in my own strength, but by the power of Your Spirit living in me. Forgive me for the times I have forgotten to do that. Enable me to grow in the things of Your Kingdom so that I can becomea whole, properly functioning, contributing, productive child of Yours who moves forward in Your purpose for my life.

I think that's a wonderful prayer, and I thought to myself the last thing I want to do is just take up space on this Earth and not contribute anything to God during my time here on Earth. He placed a dream in each person's heart, and I want to hear His call in my life, to be ever working towards that purpose He has over my life. I'll end with the verse from today that I found to be so helpful and comforting.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~ Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: